Sunday, March 25, 2018

What's a notebook hack anyway?

Huh? A notebook hack? What's that?

Notebook "hacking" is changing your notebook from its original form to something better. It could be a small change like adding sticky notes in the back so that you have quick access to scratch paper when you need it. Or it could be something far more advanced like painting the cover.

The point is my notebooks are never perfect just off the shelf. They need a few changes, some preliminary changes, even some ever-so-slight adjustments.

How I got started

I started this site because I love to hack my notebook. I'm always looking for ways to improve it, change it, adjust it, and make it more productive.

So this site was stared to help others do the same.

I started "hacking" my notebook when I bought my second Moleskine. I wanted a way to quickly access different parts of my notebook. I thought about gluing tabs but then they'd stick out and catch on my shirt as I slid the notebook into my pocket. Then it hit me. Why not cut tabs into the edge of my notebook. That was my first hack.

Keep in mind, this site is not just for the Moles (Moleskines) but many of the suggestions you'll find here can be applied to any notebook. Here's just a few types we'll cover:

  • Moleskine notebooks
  • Traveler's Notebooks
  • General diary and journal notebooks
  • sketchbooks
  • pocket "jotbooks"

Other hacks

Some of the hacks I've done to my notebooks include:

  • adding leather covers
  • adding pen holders or loops
  • adding stretchy closures and snaps
  • rounding notebook corners
  • adding business card holders
  • making my own receipt holders
  • creating indexes
  • adding auto-numbering to the pages
  • and more . . .

We'll explore these hacks and more right here. Hope you'll find some of these suggestions helpful for your own notebooks.

...dave

No comments:

Post a Comment